Policies For A Sustainable Steel Industry
This workshop will run twice at 10.45am and 2.15pm. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Book now to reserve your space at your workshops of choice!
Morning Workshop: The Need for a Level Playing Field
The Need for a Level Playing Field The estimated ‘electricity price disparity’ cost to the sector in 2016 stood at some £51 million, the equivalent of 4.3% of the sector’s total GVA and had a significant impact on EBITDA margins. Action on the electricity price disparity will protect jobs, increase investment, and increase the value of the steel sector, the supply chains it supports, manufacturing and UK PLC.
• Chair: TBC
Afternoon Workshop: Can Public Projects Boost Manufacturing?
In 2017, public infrastructure projects amounted to 14% of UK GDP and the National Infrastructure Pipeline is worth £600 billion. Government procurement guidelines could offer the UK foundation sectors support if properly administered. But do they go far enough, and could they go further?
• Chair: TBC
• Vanessa Bold, Supply Chain Manager, HS2
• Simon Griffiths, Head of Commercial Innovation and Economic Growth, Welsh Government
• Awareness of UK Steel’s key priorities
• Understanding of the challenges facing the steel industry
• Why support for the steel sector benefits manufacturing throughout the UK and the economy
• Understanding of government procurement guidelines and where they fit in with their Industrial Strategy